Persistence of Results
Time to Return to Work
What Is Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast reduction surgery is the removal of the skin and fat tissue in the breast and reshaping the breast in order to change the breast shape and size. It helps resolve many problems such as back and neck pain, bra strap marks on the shoulders, rash and fungal infections under the breasts, or numbness in the arms, which are seen in women with large breasts or breasts that are disproportionate to their body.
How Is Breast Reduction Surgery Carried Out?
Although breast reduction surgery is mostly applied for medical problems, the suitability of the individual for this operation is decided by the plastic surgeon during the consultation. During the pre-operative consultation process, the breast is examined by the plastic surgeon. At this point, it is very important to clearly express the complaints. In operations performed under general anesthesia, steps of the appropriate method are followed.Dissolving stitches are used in breast reduction surgery. Thus, there is no need for removing the sutures. As in any surgical operation, there will be a scar. Incisions for breast operations are made with the methods lollipop or reverse T. The method of the operation depends on the body structure of the person.
Who Can Get It?Breast reduction surgery can be applied to people over the age of 20 who have completed their physical development and have stable hormone levels. It can only be applied to people under the age of 20 when a medical necessity is present.
In general, breast reduction surgery is for those who want to eliminate the following problems:
- Chronic back, neck and shoulder pain requiring painkiller use,
- Chronic irritation and rashes under the chest,
- Nerve pain, numbness in the arms,
- Physical activity limitations,
- Insecurities due to large breast sizes,
- Strain while putting on bras and clothes.
Who Can Not Get Breast Reduction Surgery?
- Patients with diabetes,
- Those with certain health conditions such as heart disease,
- Those who are at risk of having a mass in their breasts.
Breast reduction surgery is suitable for women of all ages. Sometimes, young women also opt for this surgery. However, if your breasts are not fully developed yet, you may need another surgery later in life. Also, if you are planning to give birth or lose weight in the future, you may need to postpone breast reduction surgery for a while.
What Measures Should Be Taken After Breast Reduction Surgery?
- Dissolving sutures are used during the operation. These stitches may come out after a while, which is expected. Please inform your doctor if this occurs.
- After the operation, 100% symmetry cannot be expected between the two breasts. 100% symmetrical breasts do not constitute a natural appearance.
- The results of breast reduction aesthetics are usually permanent. However, the shape and size of the breast may change over time depending on conditions such as aging or weight gain or loss.
Stitches: Dissolving stitches are used which do not require removing.
Stitch Marks: They will remain red for a month after the operation, after which the color will fade.
Showering: Showering can be resumed 3 days after the operation.
Exercise and Physical Activity: They can be resumed 1 month after the operation.
Sexual Activity: It is not recommended for the first 4 weeks after the operation.
Alcohol Use: Alcohol should not be consumed for the first 10 days after the operation.
Yielding the Final Results: 80% improvement occurs at the end of the first month. Full recovery is expected within 6 to 12 months.